Lawsuit Filed for Houston Man who Suffered 2nd and 3rd Degree Burns from E-cigarette Battery Explosion
The Ammons Law Firm has filed a lawsuit on behalf of a Houston man who suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns when an e-cigarette battery exploded in his pocket.
“I was just walking around outside having a cigarette and suddenly I felt a sharp pain on my right leg and I looked down and I saw what looked like vapor puff out of my pocket and then flames,” Mike Gorby told Fox 26 News in an interview.
The incident happened in a parking lot in Madisonville, Texas, in May 2016. Video footage shows a smoke cloud erupting around Gorby after the battery explosion. He suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his thigh, as well as 2nd degree burns on his hand from removing the battery from his pocket.
Sydney Meriwether of The Ammons Law Firm is representing Gorby in a lawsuit against the smoke shop that sold him the batteries and the major electronics company that produced them without including warning labels that mention the possibility of a battery exploding if overcharged.
“If cap users were aware that they needed to be careful with how they are charging these batteries and warned that there is a possibility that if you overcharge the battery that it could explode, then that’s what we need to know, that’s what users of these batteries need to know,” Meriwether told Fox 26.
The Ammons Law Firm is a nationwide personal injury practice that focuses on consumer protection and product liability claims against companies that manufacture and sell defective and dangerous products.